Did you know your “about me” page is probably one of the most visited pages on your blog? Don’t you always go to the “about me” page when you’re reading a new blog? Have you wondered how to write an about me page? Why do people want to know about you anyway?
Blogs are personal and people want to connect with people – not just a computer screen or a beautifully designed blog. They want to see and know who is talking to them and if this person resonates with them. They want to know if you’re the fashionista, blog guru, young mommy or entrepreneur. Why? Because they are the fashionista, blog guru, young mommy or entrepreneur or they aspire to be one - they want to hear YOUR story.
Don’t let this be a difficult task – be yourself and delight readers with your awesome personality.
Here is how to let your “about me page” stand out:
1. Be yourself. Never ever try be anyone else.
2. Include a picture of yourself (as if this isn’t an obvious one). People are very curious and sometimes downright nosy – they want to see what you look like.
3. Explain why you started this blog and what the aim of your blog is. Add any personal stories about why you are so passionate about your blog’s topic.
4. Don’t be uptight – we want to connect with a real person. If it is for your business you can still use a professional, but pleasant, tone. It should be in a more conversational style but please don’t forget your grammar and spelling. Ur not txting ur bff 2 go shopin!
5. Be creative – don’t just follow these rules. Think of something different to make you stand out and show off your interests and personality.
6. Look at the about me pages of some of your favorite blogs for inspiration – what makes it stand out? Here are a few really creative “About me” pages from Six Revision.
7. Don’t be too boastful or pretentious – no one likes that. If you’d like to talk about your accomplishments or experience, a few carefully placed references will do just fine. We will still read your blog first before we decide to call you a guru or not.
8. Be gracious and don’t say bad things about other people, bloggers, website or anything else. You can always express your opinions in a proper manner in your blog if you wish but most people will be turned off by excessive negativity (unless this is really what your blog is about).
9. Make it look good and easy to read – people will stop by quickly to find out who you are and they won’t always have time to read an essay. Add your favorite quote, words you live by or some other relevant pictures of yourself.
10. Don’t forget to add your other websites or places people can connect with you. Add links to all your sites and social media profiles so they can get to know more about you.
If your blog is for your business:
11. Consider that any potential clients or employers will look at your “about me” page to find out more about you and this is especially important if you have business blog or site.
12. Add a little more about your experience and qualifications. Add links to work you’ve done so people can see that you know what you are taking about.
13. Don’t forget your contact information!
14. Demonstrate how you are a problem solver or how you can help them and why they need to hire or use you or your services.
15. The most important is to inspire people and make them feel more connected with you after reading your profile.
We are living in an age where people don’t just want to follow your blog or site but they would like to know more about you as a person. We follow people who inspire us or who we resonate with so we can see other things they enjoy. Chances are we will stumble on something we may enjoy too and that’s how we share and discover!
Don’t forget to subscribe to MostBloggy for updates about new posts and to stay motivated. Feel free to share, like or comment if you enjoyed this post. Happy blogging!